Thursday, May 2, 2013

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter

Happy May!  Isn't it a lovely one, the sun is shining and actually warm for once.  Exciting things are set for May bloggers, but I am giving NOTHING away!

As I am sure you know the remake of F.Scott.Fitzgeralds glamorous and spellbinding classic tale The Great Gatsby,directed by Baz Luhrmann is released in the UK on 16th, and I for one will most definitely be attending.  The tale has gripped me ever since I studied it for my A levels, and I have been waiting for what feels like forever for this remake! A tale of greed and glamour set within the heart of the Jazz age, brought to the big screen in all its glitz and glam, staring Leonardo Dicaprio (even now he makes my heart stop beating!) Carey Mulligan and Joel Edgerton (also rather tasty), at this moment of time means only one thing to me, FASHION!

The remake of the Great Gatsby has set some sort of a 1920's revival, and I am all for it! The 1920's was a fashion revolution women shortened their skirts, showing of their ankles for the first time and bobbed their hair, fabulous! The jazz age was all about enjoying ones self. This Spring is expected to see many reemerging trends...so what should you be looking for? 


Cloche hats 


A fitted, bell shaped hat created by  Caroline Reboux in 1908.  It became particulary popular in the 1920's.  The cloche hat is traditionally made from felt to comfort the head.  Typically they are worn low over the forehead with ones eyes slightly below the brim.  


Art Deco Patterns 

Art Deco was was an art and design movement that took place in Paris in the 1920's.  It characteristically consisted of geometric shapes, symmetry and angular, linear lines.  

The Flapper dress

Probably the most recognisable of the decades fashion.  Straight loose and fitting, often leaving the arms bare, elimination the once traditional hour glass figure and creating a more boyish figure.  The dresses often had fringes or sequins.  

Other styles to look out for are wide lapels, shift dresses, bold, sequined head pieces, drop waists and silk and lace.

The retake on the iconic flapper girl certainly does it for me!  I cannot wait to try my own retake on a true fashion icon, Clara Bow!


1 comment:

  1. oh wow the last picture!
    Love Lois xxx

    http://lisforlois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete